Park Rules & Regulations
Facility rentals are made with the City of Bowling Green Parks and Recreation Office on a first-come, first-served basis and are nonrefundable. Rentals paid by credit card may be reserved via phone. Cash or check payments must be made in person. Facility is not reserved until payment is received. Payment and the following information is needed at the time of booking:
- Type of event
- Number of attendees
- Arrival and departure times
We begin accepting reservations on the second Monday in January. Our office is open Monday thru Friday from 7:30am–5:00pm
Outdoor Facility Rental Locations
- Covington Woods Shelter #1, 2, 3, and Gazebo
- HP Thomas Shelter #1
- Kereiakes Shelter #1 and 2.
- Lampkin Shelter #1, 2, and 3
- Preston Miller Shelter #1 and 2
- Roland Bland Shelter #1
Hours of Rental
Park shelters are available for rental between the hours of 8:00am and 9:00pm. Shelters are not available prior to the scheduled time. Clean up should begin prior to the end of the rental time and the space must be completely vacated at the end of the rental period. Shelters are available from March 15-October 31.
All shelter payments are non-refundable.
Any cleanup or damage to the park shelter is the responsibility of the lessee. The lessee will be billed a damage/cleaning fee (minimum $25/hour) and will not be allowed to rent facilities in the future if any of the rules/regulations outlined in this brochure are violated.
The responsible party/renter agrees to waive, release, absolve, indemnify, and to hold harmless the Bowling Green Parks and Recreation Department's employees, City of Bowling Green, its' officials, employees from and against any and all claims, suits, actions, damages and/or causes of action arising during the term of this agreement, for any personal injury, loss of life, and liability incurred in and about any such claims the investigation thereof of the defense of any action process brought thereon and against any orders and/or judgments that may be entered therein.
No ladders can be brought in to decorate. Confetti is not allowed. The use of glue, nails, tacks, screws, staples, or other fasteners that may scratch or otherwise damage surfaces of the shelter are prohibited. You may use tape, but decorations must be taken down before you leave. The use of chalk on any surface is prohibited. Decorating is only allowed during your rental time. Picnic tables inside the park shelters must stay inside and are not be removed from the shelter site. You may bring additional folding tables or chairs if needed.
All shelters are equipped with lights that are set on a timer and electrical outlets. Some shelters have ceiling fans that are operated via a timer. Water access is available at all shelters.
Charcoal grills are provided on-site. You must bring your own charcoal and grills must be cleaned before usage. Portable grills are permitted, but may not be located underneath shelters or on any concrete or blacktopped area. No fires except in grills designated for that purpose. Fires should not be left unattended. No person shall leave any park facility without first having completely extinguished any fire. Portable fire pits are prohibited.
Parking areas and speed limits are to be observed. Handicapped parking areas are posted. Only vehicles marked with handicapped permits are allowed in these spaces. Unlicensed vehicles are prohibited including, but not limited to go-carts, mini-bikes, and ATV's. Parks close at 11:00pm. No overnight parking allowed, violators will be towed.
All pets must be kept on a leash. Please pick up after your pet.
Sales or Charging Admission Fees
No person shall vend, sell or offer for sale any food, beverage, or other commodity within any park to the public without authorization from the Parks and Recreation Director. Individuals or groups acquiring such authorization are responsible for obtaining all necessary permits or licenses for their function.
Smoking, Glass, Alcohol, Fireworks, and Profanity
The following is prohibited:
Tents must be unstaked and less than 120 square feet. Erecting a larger tent than 120 square feet would require a Tent Permit from Neighborhood & Community Services, 1017 College Street, Phone: (270) 393-3676. Due to irrigation lines, no stakes are to be driven into the ground for any reason.
The City's noise ordinance must be followed in all areas of the park. Music must not be played at a volume that could disturb other park guests. Music with profanities will not be tolerated. Live bands and DJ's require a Special Event Permit. (see Special Events on page 7.)
The gazebo at Covington Woods is available for rental. It is a 14' decorative gazebo with electrical outlets. This is an ideal area for wedding ceremonies and photo opportunities of all kinds including engagement photos and graduation pictures.
Clean Up and Waste Removal
Our maintenance staff runs trash and cleanup from 6:00am - 8:00am each morning. This is the only time the shelters are cleaned. It is the responsibility of the lessee to maintain the facility in a safe and sanitary condition. Upon completion of the rental all decorations, tables, floors, etc. shall be cleared. The shelter should be returned to the condition it was prior to your rental. Park users are responsible for removing all waste material generated by their activities from shelter areas. Rental fee includes waste receptacles. Trash cannot be left beside the receptacle. All trash must be placed in receptacle or taken with the lessee.
- When renting a park facility, you are renting the shelter/gazebo only. Requests can be made to include adjacent outdoor facilities or trails with your rental. (see Athletic Facilities, additional costs apply) The rest of the park facilities are open to the general public.
- Facilities are to be used for approved purposes only. The City of Bowling Green reserves the right to inspect premises and facilities at all times to ensure proper usage.
- Commercial event information or those events that are open to the public require a Special Event Permit. (see Special Events)
- Upon receiving the reservation confirmation, please observe the date, time and location indicated. Any discrepancies contact the Parks and Recreation Office immediately. The lessee must have their reservation confirmation in his/her possession on the day of the reservation.
- Transfer of shelter to another lessee is not allowed. Lessee listed on the reservation confirmation, must be on-site the duration of the rental.
- City-owned Parks and Recreation are patrolled by the City of Bowling Green Police Department. Dial 911 for any emergency situation. For non-emergency situations, contact Police Dispatch at 393-4537.
- All provisions of the City's Ordinances governing the public use of grounds shall apply.
- Accidents, injuries, and/or damage to property are to be reported to the Parks and Recreation Office at 270-393-3249 immediately.
Ball diamonds, trails, or other recreational fields adjacent to rental facilities are not reserved with the shelter. To request usage, complete an Outdoor Facility Request form by contacting our Athletic Manager at 270-393-3574. Additional costs apply.
The following activities require a Special Event Permit and could require a Certificate of Insurance which names the City of Bowling Green as additionally insured. To obtain an application visit City Hall, 1001 College Street or call 270-393-3641…
- Operation of special amusements, including but not limited to animal (horse, pony, or other live animal) or mechanical rides, inflatable play amusements, rock climbing walls, and musical or theatrical performances.
- Conduct of camps, fairs, exhibitions, rallies, fundraising efforts, races, walks, athletic league games or practices, and other organized events.
- Construction of tents, canopies, inflatable amusements, or other temporary structures. This includes, but not limited to moon walks, water slides, dunking booths, and portable pools.
- Use of musical instruments, radios and other sound devices, and amplified sound equipment.
- Sale of food, beverages, or other goods.
- Collection of fees or monetary contributions.